Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chapter 12- Adjusting to Orlando

The prospect of moving to a new area and having to adjust to the new area is one that is truly scary to me. I have lived my entire life in Orlando, having been born in Winter Park Memorial Hospital in Winter Park. I would like one day to move to Atlanta or some other area to "spread my wings." The problem is all the friends and family that I would leave behind here in Orlando. I know all the back roads, all the problem traffic areas, where the best food and shopping is. In about a month I will actually be taking a trip to southern California so I can compare our Disney and Universal to their parks. Aaron had to do his best to help his mother adjust to her new surroundings and tried to do so without being confrontational even though see did not take the move well and looked down upon Orlando as being backwater and without any semblance of culture. While I could take this as an insult to the city that I grew up in, we must respect the perspective of those around us. Aaron could see Orlando for what it really was and tried to convince his mother of this, but did not have much luck because it is hard sometimes to change the mind of people, especially senior citizens who sometimes can grow stubborn as they grow older. I can respect his point of view in trying to fix a problem or have the right answer to every problem. Unfortunately very few of us can fix every problem or have the answers to fix the problem. We must give space to our loved ones to let them fix their own problems and simply be there as a support system when they need us. I know that I am a proud person who likes to fix his own problems and am reluctant to ask for help until it truly is needed. Lastly I am scared to death of the day that I will have to place my parents into a living facility. My dad was my hero growing up, seemingly invincible with all the right answers. The day that I have to put him or my mother into a facility will break my heart, but nearly as much as the look on their faces when I break the news. I really took a lot way from this particular section and can really relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment