Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chapter 2-Some Lessons Learned in Dealing With an Aging Parent

I found this section quite interesting and how some of these lessons can really be applied to other age groups as well. I enjoyed how Aaron broke down the lessons that he learned while taking care of his aging mother and gave examples of how these lessons are helpful in dealing with an aging parent. One part that I found interesting dealt with listening to his mother and that would help calm her down and give her a feeling of worth. Sometimes just listening is the hardest job that a person has. I found that it applies to my job at Best Buy where I have to deal with upset customers on a daily basis. The ones that you simply take the time to listen to and let them air out their grievances tend to calm down more than the ones that you fail to just simply listen to what they have to say. I liked the part where he talks about instead of trying to do things for our aging parents that we give them space and allow them to do tasks on their own. I sometimes find myself wanting to do this for co workers, but when I let them do it on their own they have a greater sense of accomplishment and self worth. The aging parent has the same feeling. They are frustrated with the loss of independence and the ability to do accomplish tasks that advancing age has taken from them. This means giving them space to be own their own and do their own thing. The last thing that I liked was how Aaron "hired" someone to spend time with his mother that could keep her company while he or his wife were busy with their lives. I know that one of the biggest concerns for the elderly is loneliness and having relationships makes life more worth living. I can apply that to myself quite easily. Without having strong relationships with my family and friends, I would have an empty hole and no one to talk to. I love having good friends and parents who will always be there for me during the best and of times and more importantly the worst of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment